Any device designed to charge or be charged should be placed on a ceramic tile or plate and kept clear of carpets, curtains, soft furnishings, newspapers, anything hot (not in sunlight) and anything that might burn, during charging.

Any sort of "wall wart" device should also be kept clear of curtains and soft furnishings. If it's above a carpet, place a ceramic tile or plate beneath it to catch flaming, dripping plastic - just in case. 

If the device to be charged is metallic or has exposed metal, do not touch it while the charger is connected to mains power. A fault in the charger can result in electrocution.

A lot of (mostly minor) fires and some deaths have occurred with devices such as phones, chargers and power supplies so please don't take the risk. See

If your device occasionally shuts down, that could be a sign that it's overheating. If it's in a cool place and placed in accordance with the foregoing suggestions, you ought to replace it before it fails completely.

Is it OK to charge your smartphone all the time?

Yes, it's fine if you use the charger that came with the phone. Modern phones have intelligent charging circuits that cut the charging current to a tiny trickle when the battery is fully charged. I've even answered calls on my phone while it was still connected to the charger (but my phone has a plastic case).

Send this page address - CLICK HERE - to a friend !

Back to Index